FlowMeans is method for automated identification of cell populations in flow cytometry data based on K-means clustering.
The FlowMeans algorithm utilizes the R statistical computing environment and is implemented in FlowJo 10.1r7 as a plugin accessible from the Plugins menu (Workspace tab –> Populations band).
- If you have never used a FlowJo Plugin, please see the Installing Plugins page for detailed information on plugin and R setup before continuing.
- This plugin requires R and the package “flowMeans“. Ensure that you have this R package installed prior to launching the plugin. To install flowMeans, open R and enter the following into the R console:
if (!requireNamespace("BiocManager", quietly = TRUE)) install.packages("BiocManager") BiocManager::install("flowMeans")
- To view documentation for the version of this package installed in your system, start R and enter:
- Open FlowJo v10.1r7 or later.
- Load some cytometry data files (ex. FCS or LMD) into your FlowJo workspace, then Save the workspace.
- Select/highlight a sample or gated population node within the samples pane of the FlowJo workspace.
- Initiate the plugin by clicking on the FlowMeans menu item, located in the Plugins menu (Workspace tab –> Populations band–>Plugins).
- A new FlowMeans dialog window will open, prompting you to select the parameters to be used for clustering, and specify the number of cluster populations that will be produced.
- To initiate the FlowMeans calculation, click OK. The algorithm will run and return gated populations containing the events for each cluster.
- Aghaeepour, N. et. al. (2011) Rapid cell population identification in flow cytometry data. Cytometry A, DOI: 10.1002/cyto.a.21007. PubMed Link.
- Link to flowMeans package on Bioconductor
For more information on installing and running specific Plugins:
Questions about plugins or FlowJo? Send us an email at TechSupport [at] FlowJo [dot] com